Our department is dedicated to world-leading research and teaching in music education. Our graduates are well educated musicians and scholars with a passion for and commitment to music education. As visionary musicians and educators they possess the musical, pedagogical and technological skills, knowledge and understandings necessary to advance music education around the world.
Western has a long and proud history as an international leader in the area of music education.
Our Honors Bachelor of Music in Music Education program is unique featuring:
- Performance emphasis: weekly, hour-long, private lessons on major instruments
- Participation: in outstanding vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Academic foundations: students build a strong academic foundation for teaching by studying history, theory, general musicianship and music education philosophy, psychology, and methodology.
- Breadth: opportunity to study as many as eight different instruments alongside instrumental and choral conducting.
- Service learning: all fourth-year students take Music Education in Action, a community service learning course, where they put their learning into practice in real-life situations
- Guaranteed admission to Althouse Faculty of Education for qualifying students.
- An active Music Education Students' Association (MESA), a student chapter of the Ontario Music Educators’ Association.
For a complete faculty listing, please visit Music Education Faculty & Staff.
Degrees offered are the Master of Music in Music Education, including an intensive Summer Master of Music in Music Education program, and the PhD in Music (Music Education). See Graduate Programs for more information.
Dr. Ruth Wright
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 85358
Phone: 519-611-2111 ext. 85358